Sunday, December 20, 2009

Almost a month...

... but not quite!  =)  This time of year is just so busy...  I don't know how anyone finds a few minutes for themselves.  I've been knitting and sewing and baking my brains out!  Handmade holiday gifts galore, check out my soon to be updated craft blog for pictures.  I'd love to tell you that I'm done... but I still have a quilt to finish and have come to the conclusion that my oh so very understanding family (mainly my Mom, Brother, and Sister-in-Law) will be just as pleased to recieve their gifts in a few weeks when I get them finished.  I think I'll get caught up by the end of January and then I'll start all over in February, allowing myself some more time.  Maybe a gift a month?  Although next year will be a bit different, good different.  My family has decided to just spoil the kids...  my two (although maybe by then we'll be working on a third?  here's hoping...), my sister's one, and my brother's three (but we're all expecting them to multiply... they're like rabbits!).  For those of us that are all grown up... it's become more of a chore to shop for each other than anything else really.  "What do you want?"  "What are you getting 'so&so'?"  "Where are we going to the money for all of these gifts?!?!"  It's not that we don't enjoy spoiling each other... we do.  But... ehh...  I don't know how to put it into words really.  So, we've come up with a plan for a swap.  There are enough of us (7 including spouses and significant others, last I counted) and it makes more sense.  Instead of everyone spending the unofficial minimum of $25 or so on a gift card or something similar for each person, we'll draw names and spend $50 on just that one person.  One big item, several smaller items... To keep it interesting I'm thinking I'll suggest a no gift card rule.  It should be fun... almost like a craft swap!

It seems everything about the holidays is changing.  This will be the first year we stay home.  It will also be the first year we spend with just the four of us.  None of our extended families will be visiting.  I can't say that I'm not sad... but I've felt kinda off all day and it's only occurring to me now why...  It seems that since my Grandparents died we've all kind of scattered.  Not for lack of trying... and I know I shouldn't complain.  Like spending the day with just the Hubbs and Littles isn't good enough... it is, they're what keeps me going everyday.  Or that our families should feel obligated to spend the day with us...  they have lives too.  It's just taking some getting used to I guess.  Maybe I'll suggest we start something new and different this year...  I've been toying with the idea of making a gingerbread house with the kids... we could each make one on Christmas Eve... a small one... 

*is having visions of a small village of gingerbread left for Santa to nibble on*

We'll see... A toast!

*raises mug of hot cocoa*

To New Christmas Traditions!

...

and not wallowing in a sea of self pity while moping through the day...

Happy Holidays Everyone!

No comments: