Sunday, October 07, 2007

Plucking along...

Yep, that's about my average speed as of late... being sick is really kicking my ass. Puttering around the house on the weekends, cleaning up in short five or ten minute bursts rather than all at once like I usually do. Of course, I could just be tired because I worked well over 45 hours last week... Over the summer I went to a seminar for work and as a result of that we got a 4000.00 equipment grant for the infant and toddler rooms. The equipment arrived on Monday! What a day! It was like Christmas for the teachers and I! All sorts of nice, shiny, new goodies for the kids to play with! It was very exciting.

The school year has started off with a... hmmm... what word suits how this year has started... a brick wall? My son is ADHD. He is a very loving, sweet, and smart little boy. But doesn't have a shred of impulse control... Look! Something Shiny! That's him! Everyone that spends time getting to know him always comments on what a complete sweetie he is; very affectionate and considerate, not a mean or nasty bone in his body. So for his new second grade teacher to tell me "He's not going to make it to third grade... His behavior is just off the wall... There are other children in this classroom and they deserve an education, I can't be redirecting him(my son) all day long... YOU need to do something" within the first six weeks of school. Yea, I would love to just pull him from the school entirely. I asked her a few questions about what sort of behaviors she was seeing and how she was dealing with them. I hadn't received any notes home about any of this... And after hearing her answers; I was left with the impression that she hadn't even read his 504 plan, never mind actually using it, and had already labeled him a problem child and was ready to just stick him in a corner and trudge through the year around him... Well, not my kid lady! My son deserves the same education that your other students are entitled to and I don't need to do something... WE need to do something. My taxes pay your salary and as his teacher you should be communicating with me, working with me, making suggestions as well as listening to my suggestions....

Fuck... it's going to be a long year...

No comments: